To be the centre of excellence in process of teaching, learning and research in the field of Ayurveda Medicine and to support in the realization of the institute’s vision and mission.
To develop and maintain high quality service by providing best support for the staff, students and researchers to satisfy their quest for knowledge in research, teaching and learning.
The library of the Institute of Indigenous Medicine, University of Colombo was founded in 1929, the same year that the Ayurveda College was inaugurated. This Library is the oldest and the largest Ayurveda medical library in Sri Lanka. It is housed in the last block of the old building of the institute. Access to the library is through the main entrance of the building which is just close to the Department of MoulikaSiddhantha. The Library mainly contains books and periodicals in Ayurveda, Unani, Indigenous Medicine and other medical sciences. It consists of Permanent Reference Section, Reference Section, Lending Section, Periodicals Section, Ola Leaf Manuscripts Section, Archival Section, Photo-coping Section and the Bindery. The seating capacity of the library is 200. The library expanded its services to meet information requirements of Undergraduate and Postgraduate students and also Academic and Non-academic staff.
This is one of the member libraries of Health Literature Libraries and Information Services Network (HeLLIS) and Sri Lanka Scientific & Technological Information Network (SLSTINET).